We spent 45 days in New Zealand.
The following words are the ones we associate with New Zealand:
Green, scenery, weather forecast, rain, volcanoes, outdoor activities, Lord of the Rings, mountains, seals, camper, one-lane bridge, Maori, “no worries”, ocean, New World (supermarket).
As usual, I prepared a list of activities (see picture) and each of us could give a thumb up (+), a thumb down (-) or a neutral position for each of them.
Our highlights / what we (all) liked the most:
- Our Airbnb’s in Auckland and in Queenstown. They were awesome (and very comfy).
- Open Air Cinema in Auckland (‘The Greatest Showman’)
- ‘Lost World 4 Hours’ experience in the Waitomo Caves
- ‘Turoa downhill Madness’ bike ride near Ohakune
- Tongariro Crossing trek (one of the highlights of the world tour)
- Michael Jackson HIStory Tour show (in Wellington)
- Canyoning in Abel Tasman National Park
- Swimming with dolphins in Kaikoura
- The Farm Tour in Banks Peninsula
- Otago Peninsula
- Bungy Jumping in Queenstown (Jules unfortunately couldn’t do it).
- Ice Bar in Queenstown
The following places nearly made it to the top list (short of one “vote”):
- Giapo ice cream, in Auckland (missing Jules’ vote)
- Kaikoura Seafood BBQ (missing Ludivine’s vote)
- Puzzling World, in Wanaka (missing my vote)
- The Heli Hike on Fox Glacier was greatly liked by Ludivine, Florence and I.
- Isabelle, Ludivine and I (i.e. all the participants) liked the Ben Homond Track in Queenstown.
- I also liked the Banksy exhibition (in Auckland), the ‘Old Coach Road’ bike ride (near Ohakune), and the drive from Hokitika to Christchurch (the Great Alpine Highway).
- The 3 girls liked Whale Watching Flight, in Kaikoura.
- Jules loved the Lego exhibition in Te Papa Museum (in Wellington) and the luge in Queenstown
- Isabelle and Jules liked the ‘El Matador’ restaurant in Wellington.
- Ludivine and Florence liked the Giant’s House in Akaroa and the burgers of FergBurger.
- The kids loved also the climbing walls in Ohakune and the cruise in Milford Sound (mainly for the atmosphere).
- Isabelle and I liked the Summit Road (and the scenery in general) on the Banks Peninsula.
- Isabelle, Jules and I enjoyed a lot the Peninsula Walkway.
What we liked less:
- The constant uncertainty about the weather
- The Puke Ariki Museum in New Plymouth
- Ludivine didn’t like the ‘Old Coach Road’ bike ride (near Ohakune)
- The Tram Tour in Christchurch (Ludivine, Jules and I)
- The kids didn’t like at all the Clay Cliffs
Our general feeling:
New Zealand is such a beautiful country, with vast and wonderful landscapes. People are nice and there are plenty of amazing adventurous activities. It’s very well organized for campers.
Unfortunately, the weather is pretty much unpredictable and changes rapidly, with a lot of rain.
To do / visit during next stay:
- Of course the 2 famous treks that we had booked and that we couldn’t do: the Abel Tasman Coastal Track and the Routeburn Track. What a pity!
- Good restaurants in Auckland
One Reply to “New Zealand – Summary”