What we liked most / our highlights (the places need the “vote” of the 5 family members to be included in this list):
- The Great Wall
- The Forbidden City
- The guided visit in the hutongs
- The Temple of Heaven Park
- The evening in Sanlitun (drink on the terrace of Migas and pizza at Bottega)
The following places nearly made it to the top list (short of one “vote”):
- The “Egg”
- The Snack Street
What we liked least:
- Of course the difficulty related to the language barrier.
- The (too much) time in metro, which is always a bit sad (no view). However, the Beijing metro is very efficient and quite easy (everything is translated); but the walks are long in the stations themselves to change between lines.
As always, we couldn’t do / see all what we expected (and as often the restaurants where we planned to go without the kids were unfortunately the ones that were dropped from the list).
To do / visit during next stay:
- Summer Palace (one of the 3 main tourist sites of Beijing with the Forbidden City and the Great Wall and also the highlight of our Belgian ‘world tourers’ friends)
- Zaha Hadid’s curvy and sci-fi-like Galaxy Soho building
- Olympic Park at night
- White Cloud Temple (with Taoist monks)
- Panjiayuan (flea) Market
- One evening out in Sanlitun (without kids)
- Restaurants: The Georg (a gastronomic fusion cuisine with a Scandinavian twist), Black Sesame Kitchen (a communal table in a kitchen with a 10-course menu) and the veggie King’s Joy.
- Lessons of Tai chi, Chinese languages, Mah-jong, dumplings.
- Rent a bike.